About

 
 
Northampton Revolver Club
 
 

    

   

A Brief History of the Club.

The Northampton Revolver Club was established in October 1933. Its first range was located in a loft above an auto repair shop in Northampton. In 1952 a woodlot was deeded to the Club by two of its members, and a clubhouse was built. Twenty-five and fifty yard outdoor ranges were set up, and an indoor range was built for fall and winter matches. A 200-yard rifle range lasted only until a housing subdivision went up downrange, when it was replaced by the present 100-yard range.

In August of 1999, after a year of planning, The Club broke ground on its new Indoor Range facility.  With President Tim Messer, and Vice President Lou Enselek acting as project coordinators, Wing Construction of Southampton, MA, as the builder, and many member volunteers, the project moved forward. The spacious facility, attached to the original 1952 Club House, features a heated, well-lit and ventilated, 50ft pistol range, with a Savage Arms Snail Trap System. The entire range is run by a unique electrical system designed and built by Club member and project electrician, Dave Korpiewski.  In addition, Club members and guests may view the shooting activities from the comfort of the Clubroom, through two large viewing windows. The Club is proud of its facility and appreciates the efforts of all those who made it possible. A plaque listing the names of these individuals hangs in the Club House today.

These are the facilities, maintained and improved over the years, that exist to this day. The Club now owns 26 acres, including the original woodlot, which produces occasional incidental revenue from timber cutting.

The Northampton Revolver Club is affiliated with the National Rifle Association and participates in NRA qualification programs. At the state level we are affiliated with the Gun Owners Action League (GOAL). Over the years the Club has made its facilities available to others, such as local black powder shooters. Our ranges are also used by local law enforcement personnel for training and qualification, a service we are proud to offer. We hold an open house to give the local community an opportunity to visit the Club, and try their hand at shooting a variety of firearms. In 1997 the open house was combined with our first NRA Youth Sport fest, designed to introduce young people to a wide variety of outdoor activities and shooting sports.

The Club offers both the National Rifle Association's Basic Pistol Course LTC-002, and The Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association Basic Handgun Safety Course LTC-001, taught by certified instructors, and open to members and non-members alike.

Over the years the Club has engaged in competition with other local pistol clubs, and since 1990 has been a regular member of the Western Massachusetts Pistol League, shooting 21 matches each season. Our team won the league championship in 1996 and sent a team to the all-state championship sponsored by GOAL, coming in third. The Club also participates annually in the United States Revolver Association (USRA) Winter League matches. Regular membership is open to anyone holding a valid Massachusetts License to Carry Firearms or Firearms Identification Card. Annual dues are $150.00.
The Northampton Revolver Club is located on Ryan Road, opposite the Ryan Road Elementary School in Florence, a subdivision of Northampton.